The City of Baldwin City contracts for refuse/trash collection and recycling services with Ottawa Sanitation Service. Trash collection for properties north of High Street is Monday. For properties south of High Street, collection day is Wednesday. Signal Oak Estates subdivision is collected on Friday.
- Bulky items will be collected if possible on regular collection days. Most yard waste will be collected if not too bulky. Construction materials will not be collected.
- For special collection of appliances, furniture, or other large items, please contact Ottawa Sanitation Service (785) 242-3227 directly to arrange for pickup of your special items.
- Refuse is collected as usual every day except for Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. For those holidays listed above, refuse will be collected on the day after.
- Ottawa Sanitation Service also provides recycling services at Allen Park, next to the Santa Fe Depot, with a self-service collection unit. Items collected include plastic, newsprint, aluminum and tin cans.
- Curbside recycling is now available. Please contact City Hall at 785-594-6427 for additional information and/or to sign up.
The City annually sponsors a city-wide cleanup day, usually in the late spring or early summer.
Glass – Recycling of glass is a joint project of Baldwin City, the Ripple Glass Company and Baldwin Market. The recycling bin for glass is located in the Baldwin Market parking lot.
Metal – A metal recycling bin is located just west of the railroad tracks on College St. (Just south of the train depot.)
Paper, plastic and cardboard – This items can be recycled thru the City’s curbside recycling. Call City Hall for information at 785-594-6427.
The Baldwin City Boy Scouts also have a recycling program. You can donate your aluminum cans to their program by dropping them off at the Boy Scout cabin located at 4th and Fremont near the City Pool.
- Douglas County Hazardous Waste Program: 785-832-3030
- Ottawa Sanitation: 785-242-3227 or toll free: 800-494-3227
- 12th & Haskell Recycle & Bargain Center: 785-865-3730
- The Kidney Foundation: 800-488-2277 (for vehicles with clear titles)