The Baldwin City Animal Control Unit is managed by the Baldwin City Police Department and provides these services:

Enforcement of City ordinances
Investigation of animal bites, cruelty to animal cases, and other investigations
Educational programs

Citizens within the Baldwin City limits experiencing issues with domestic animals are encouraged to call Baldwin City’s Police Department at 785-594-3850 to make a report. After hours, please contact the Douglas County Sheriff non-emergency line, 785-843-0250. In case of emergency, of course, dial 911.

Baldwin City has laws in place to protect animals and residents.

  • It is unlawful to allow an animal to “run at large”.
  • It is unlawful for any person to own, keep, or harbor a dog older than six months without proper licensing.
  • All outdoor dogs must wear a license tag, except for those kept in a cage or covered dog run.
  • A special use permit is needed for persons, residential premises, or households with more than a combined total of four animals older than four months of age.
  • All female animals in heat must be confined in a building in a manner that the animal cannot come into contact with a male animal except for planned breeding.

All owners in Baldwin City are required to register their dog at City Hall by January 31 of each year. The cost is $10, $5 if your pet is spayed or neutered.

If an animal is recovered “at large”, the animal will be taken to the Baldwin City Companion Animal Hospital at 504 Ames. The animal will be housed there for up to 4 days.  If unclaimed in that time, the animal will be sent to the Douglas County Humane Society in Lawrence.

Wildlife Concerns

Contact the Baldwin Police Department for wildlife concerns.  Nuisance Wildlife Management issues are referred to the Kansas Department of Wildlife & Parks  Select NADC Permit Holders – Region 2 to access a list of wildlife damage control service providers or call 913-422-1314 for additional information.