The City of Baldwin City currently contracts for solid waste collection and recycling services with Ottawa Sanitation Service. Solid waste collection for those north of High Street is Monday. For those south of High Street, collection day is Wednesday. Signal Oak Estates subdivision is collected on Friday.  To contact Ottawa Sanitation, you may call them toll free: 800-494-3227.

  • Bulky items will be collected on regular collection days. Most yard waste will be collected. Construction materials cannot be collected.
  • For special collection of appliances, furniture, or other large items, please contact Ottawa Sanitation Service (785) 242-3227 at least 24 hours in advance to arrange for pickup of these special items.
  • Exceptions are made for Memorial Day, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day and New Year’s Day. For those holidays, collection will be delayed one day.
  • Paper, plastic and cardboard can be recycled thru curbside recycling.  Please contact City Hall at 785-594-6427 to add this service.

The City sponsors a city-wide cleanup day each year in the late spring.

How to Recycle Glass, Hazardous Waste Disposal & Pharmaceuticals:


Recycling of glass is a joint project of Baldwin City, the Ripple Glass Company and Baldwin City Market.  The Ripple Glass bin is located in the Baldwin City Market parking lot.  Want to know more about Ripple Glass?  Visit their site!

Household Hazardous Waste Facility

The Douglas County Household Hazardous Waste Facility is accepting hazardous waste from Douglas County households throughout the year by APPOINTMENT ONLY. Call the Waste Reduction & Recycling Division at 785-832-3030 to schedule a drop-off appointment for any unwanted paint, pesticides, cleaners, old mercury thermometers, and batteries. There is no fee to Douglas County households.

Pharmaceutical Disposal

Unused pharmaceuticals are a common sight in medicine cabinets. These drugs create potential for abuse and may cause environmental and health concerns when disposed of improperly. Studies have shown that pharmaceuticals are present in our nation’s waterbodies. Further research suggests that certain drugs may cause ecological harm.  The Baldwin City Police Department accepts all prescription medications, over-the-counter drugs, vitamins, herbal remedies, supplements, veterinary drugs, and liquid medication in leak-proof containers. They are open Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm, except holidays.

Steve Gorden, Wastewater OperatorSteve Gorden

Wastewater Operator






Harry Avery, Wastewater OperatorHarry Avery

Wastewater Operator