Resident's Guide

Baldwin City has municipal-owned Electric, Water, and Sewer. These services, as well as trash, come bundled together into one monthly bill, due the 25th of each month.

Pay your bill online here or report an outage by calling 785-594-6907.

Late Fees and Disconnect

Unpaid accounts are assessed a 10% late fee on the 26th of each month. Services will be discontinued if not paid by 5pm on the 5th day of the following month. To restart a discontinued account, the past due amount plus applicable reconnect fees of $70 for electricity and/or $50 for water must be paid.

Trash & Recycling 1-800-494-3227

Trash is contracted through Green Environmental Services.

Curbside recycling is offered through Green Environmental, with sign up at City Hall.

Power Plant 1

To establish service for water, electric, sewer, and trash:

  • Fill out a utility card at City Hall
  • Provide a current driver's license
  • Pay a connection fee of $40
  • Pay applicable deposits: $100 for electric, $50 for water. Deposits, plus any interest earned, are applied to the final bill. If you are due a refund, it will be mailed to the forwarding address you provide.

Power Plant 1


  • Usually mailed out by the 10th.
  • Due by the 25th of each month at 5pm.
  • Make payments online here.
  • Ask about auto payment options at City Hall.

Mail your payment: PO Box 86, Baldwin City, KS 66006; bring in during business hours; or put your payment in the drop box located south of the City Hall door on 8th Street.

What you've asked us

All dogs must have tags and leashed within city limits. Tags are available at City Hall, and are renewed every year in January.

You may contact the utility billing clerk at 785-594-6427, or email [email protected].

If you're building a fence, yes. General maintenance of an existing fence does not require a permit. Call Public Works at 785-594-6907 to obtain a permit.

Contact the Zoning Administrator at 785-594-6907 or email [email protected].

The City Code applies to both residential and commercial properties.

If you have an Open Records Request, submit an Open Records Request form to the City Clerk. You may obtain a form at City Hall, or print one here.

Baldwin City follows Douglas County Emergency Management's burn ban days, which are determined on a daily basis. The most accurate way to find out if there is a burn ban in effect on any given day is to call 785-832-5394.

Listing sign ups are now closed.

Typically we’ll wait until the snow is done to plow. Plowing while the snow is still falling is inefficient and expensive. We do monitor road conditions closely and stay in contact with Baldwin City Police Officers. If the roads are getting slick and causing dangerous conditions, we head out, even if the snow is still falling. 

Restrooms are typically open by May 1st, depending on the weather. They close November 1st for winter, except for the Sullivan Square bathrooms which remain open year round.